Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Recombination Psychiatry

You might think a 'better than cured' goal can not be achieved, or that it may be too ambitious.  Or you might be wondering how it is done.

Psychiatrists, like all doctors, like all masters of their particular art, tend to develop their expertise in directions congenial with who they are as people, their view and understanding of themselves, of others and the world.  We all draw from everything we studied, experienced, witnessed, thought and explored valuable tools to do our job as healers.  The way we practice psychiatry is a reflection of who we are individually, which goes beyond the standard of medical knowledge and practice that we all have learned in residency training.

In my practice, I use a combination of many school of thoughts and orientations.  And I keep adding to that list.  As no one key could open all doors, I need more than one tool or one modality of intervention to design individually crafted healing strategies for my patients.

In the next few posts, I will talk about the various orientations that have helped me create my personal way of practicing psychiatry.  I will talk about:

Intuitive (Right Brain) Psychiatry
Reiki and Psychiatry
The Philosophy of Compassion and Psychiatry
Psychiatry and Art
Psychiatry and the Art of Haiku
Play and Imagiantion
Visualization exercises
Animal Assited Therapy (AAT)
Life Coaching in Psychiatry
Beyond Cogntive-Behavioral Therapy
''It's Just a Pill!'' or "Why medication is not enough in psychiatry"

All these diverse ways of thinking can be combined, adapted and dynamically applied in various combinations during each visit with a patient, depending of his cultural background, emotional and intellectual needs, stage in his life, personality and personal history.

This is what I call overall Recombination Psychiatry.  In genetics, recombination is a natural process in which the genes from both parents combine in a new and unique way to create a new life, an individual that resembles but is not identical to the original parents.  The same way, I take pearls of wisdom from many other fields and school of thoughts, along with the newest research in Western medicine, and create new applications and solutions to my patients' emotional problems.  This is my road to "Better Than Cured."

You are welcomed to join me as I explore this process.

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment